With the success of Netflix shows based on Marvel comics characters like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, it was just a matter of time before Netflix & Marvel capitalized on that & started creating new shows for more characters. We know that we’re getting an Iron Fist series starting on March 17th, 2017, and as of yesterday, it has been confirmed that Marvel now has a Punisher series going up on Netflix beginning sometime in 2017.
The show, entitled Marvel’s The Punisher, will bring back actor Jon Bernthal to reprise his role as Frank Castle/The Punisher from the Daredevil series, and has recently announced five new cast members:
- Deborah Ann Woll will reprise her role as Karen Page, playing opposite Bernthal’s Frank Castle.
- Paul Schulze will portray Rawlins, whose career as a high-ranking CIA officer will bring him into repeated contact with Castle.
- Michael Nathanson will take on the role of Sam Stein – a Homeland agent whose partnership with Dinah (Amber Rose Revah) will challenge him as a person.
- Jaime Ray Newman will play Sarah Lieberman. Her marriage to Micro (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) has complicated her life.
- Daniel Webber has been cast as young veteran Lewis Walcott, and we’ll see his struggles with re-assimilating into civilian society.
- Jason R. Moore will portray Curtis Hoyle, who is one of the few who knows that Frank Castle is still alive, and counts him as a friend.
When asked about the cast, the show’s executive producer & showrunner Steve Lightfoot said, “We couldn’t have asked for a more talented group of actors to round out the cast of Marvel’s The Punisher. It’s a thrill to watch them each bring their characters to life with such layered, nuanced performances.” To this, executive producer Jeph Loeb added, “Each actor brings a special promise [that] surrounds Jon Bernthal’s exceptional performance.”
Mr. Lightfoot will write the series’ first two episodes, and will be joined in the executive producer role by Jeph Loeb (Marvel’s head of television) and Jim Chory, who both also worked on Marvel’s Daredevil, Marvel’s Jessica Jones, and Marvel’s Luke Cage.
Alongside Marvel Television, Marvel’s The Punisher is being produced in association with ABC Studios for Netflix.