Cosplay Brew: Ebone Nicole
- Please tell us your name and where you are based.
Greetings I’m Ebone Nicol, and I’m from sunny Myrtle Beach!!
- How long have you been cosplaying?
Hmm… Lol if I’m not counting wrestling, I have been cosplaying since 2008.
- What characters have you cosplayed the most?
I try to cosplay different characters EVERY single time. My goal isn’t to have a character to call my own. My cosplay goal is to learn something new with each cosplay, whether it’s a new sewing technique or working with different materials.
- Please list your Website or Fan Pages
- Cosplay- @EB1cosplay (Instagram)
- Digital Art Creations- @Eb1_digitalcreations (Instagram)
- Cosplay and fun- @ebonenicol (Tiktok)
1. What made you decide to cosplay?
What made me decide to cosplay…in a roundabout way, it was wrestling. I remember my very first convention was Dragoncon. I didn’t attend as a guest but as a wrestler. My brothers (Austin Creed and Mikal Mosley) and I found ourselves in awe of what we witnessed that night. A city full of geeks, nerds, musicians, and everything in between coexisting. I was in heaven. It was that day that La Familia (Mosley, Creed, and I) were born. From that day forward cosplay has been a huge part of my life.
2. What do you do for your day job or hobbies?
If I told you, I’d have to be moved to witness protection! I’m kidding! I am a graphic designer/illustrator and marketing consultant, and I am also an entertainer for a children’s company. My hobbies include learning new things (from new languages to technology; you stop living when you stop learning), cooking (my favorite is Asian cuisine), cosplay, crafting, and upcycling just to name a few.
3. Which of your cosplays have been the most challenging and/or the most rewarding and why?
My most challenging cosplay was the Panda Express Fast food cosplay. What I envisioned is not what I built, lol. My goal was to build the same Panda head piece that AEW’s Sammy Guevara uses. Not only did I run out of time, but it was a little more than I could handle at the time. I still have plans to finish it though. The costumes I found the most rewarding was my Gears of War/Black Panther mashup I debuted at DragonCon 2021.The process of building it was very cathartic. I grieved heavily when Chadwick Boseman passed.
4. What is the best advice you would give to other cosplayers of color specifically?
The best advice I can give is to surround yourself with positive and realistic people you can depend on (in cosplay and in life).
5. What one thing could the cosplay community do better when dealing with one another?
I believe the cosplay community can be better at observing and listening to one another. If we can listen to one another we can heal from the negative things that affect the cosplay community. It takes time and diligence but it is doable.
You must be logged in to post a comment.