Metal Gear Survive is coming soon, but gamers haven’t really gotten a lot of information on the newest tile in the popular Konami franchise…until now, that is. Just this past weekend, the developer released a fact sheet with some interesting features and story details, giving players a clearer idea of the actual narrative in the game.
According to Konami, when we get into Metal Gear Survive, we’ll assume the mantle of a soldier who has avoided being drawn into some sort of wormhole which has appeared over Mother Base. The story then picks up six months later, at which point the soldier awakens (presumably from some sort of coma?) to find that he’s in a United States government facility, overseen by Wardenclyffe Section. It’s at this point that the soldier will meet a mysterious man known only as “Goodluck”, who tells him that he’s been infected with an interdimensional life form, and has to travel to another dimension to find a way to extract the parasite.
Yep. That’s what’s happening. It looks as if Konami is pumping up the sci-fi elements to this chapter of the Metal Gear franchise, and potentially looking to go a little more fantastical with the story this time. Whether this will take hold with fans of the series remains to be seen, but time will tell as the game releases in its full state next month.
Along with the narrative details, Konami also released a list of features that are being included in Metal Gear Survive. Some of these look pretty cool:
- Two modes of play – single player and co-op. Character experience, skills and items obtained are shared between the two modes.
- Build and develop your Base Camp. This offers access to crafting weapons and gear, and serves as a command center for planning missions in both single player and co-op modes.
- Gather resources, blueprints and raw materials for use in crafting. These can be gathered in single player mode by exploring the environment or won in successful co-op missions.
- Develop Base Camp with new facilities to aid survival, including crop growing, animal rearing, and food and water storage. As your camp develops you’ll gain access to high grade crafting items.
- Manage resources, including essentials such as food and water, as well as raw materials used for weapons, defences and expendables.
- Complete daily, weekly and special event Orders for rewarding materials and blueprints to be used in single player and co-op.
The game is said to be set in the alternate universe to which you must travel in order to cure yourself of the life form infecting you. It will also apparently involve scavenging for materials and fashioning them into usable items, gear, and weapons. The survival action title will also include the traditional MGS stealth gameplay, base defense tactics, and will force players to rely on strategy and study both their enemies and the environment as well.
For those who cannot wait to get their hands on the game, Konami will be making a BETA available via PSN and Xbox Live from January 18th through January 21st, and the full version of Metal Gear Survive launches on February 20th, 2018 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.
In the meantime, check out the first look at Metal Gear Survive’s single player campaign!